There is nothing more that I love than peanut butter! Okay...well, maybe that isn't 100% true, but it is pretty close! I do LOVE me some peanut butter. Especially peanut butter treats. :-D I decided to make some of these amazing peanut butter cookies, mostly since I had a boat load of peanut butter! Thank you buy-one-get-one free sale! And it is something simple enough to warm up to my inlaws kitchen with. (I am still learning where everything is! I am still not accustomed to my cooking supplies being put away in storage, but I make do with what I have on hand here.)
And who doesn't love a good peanut butter cookie?! I knew my MIL would love them. I was looking to dress up the cookies a little bit, I wanted to skip the normal matching of chocolate (even though that is pure heaven!). Not having any chocolate also played a big factor in this decision as well. Heh. I went more peanut butter! YUM! I found a recipe for peanut butter frosting here.
I think the "frosting" came out a little too thick to be slathered on top of the cookies. So I decided on making sandwiches cookies, since the frosting seemed more like a filling to me (I wonder if I added more milk if that would have solved the problem? Idea for the next time). And am I glad I did! I definitely am going to use this frosting recipe again, I think it would taste amazing in the middle of a chocolaty cupcake.
Needless to say, these were a HUGE hit and lasted a whooping TWO days! ;-)
They are even perfect just the way they are!
I could have eaten the entire bowl of frosting ;-)
Chewy Peanut Butter Cookies
(Source: unknown - from an old battered recipe card)
- 1 cup brown sugar - firmly packed
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 sticks butter
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- Preheat over to 350° and grease cookie sheets.
- Cream both sugars, peanut butter and butter together.
- Add eggs and vanilla to the mixture.
- In a separate bowl combine the dry ingredients.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the mixture.
- Roll into tablespoon size balls (optional: roll balls in sugar - I skipped this step since I was sandwiching my cookies) and drop on to the cookie sheet.
- Bake for 11-13 minutes.
Peanut Butter "Frosting"
(Source: Make More Cookies Blog)
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
- 3-4 tablespoons milk
- Cream peanut butter, butter, vanilla and salt together until well blended.
- Beat in confectioner's sugar.
- Add milk, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Blend until frosting is smooth and light.